San Diego, CA
|Location:||San Diego, CA|
|Pay Rate:||$48.00 - $53.00 /Hour|
Not ready to apply, but want to stay up-to-date in future job openings?
Join our Talent Network for job alerts in your inbox.
Our client is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
Our client's business division designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. Their expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer to join our Sustainment Engineering team located in San Diego, CA. Under general directions with limited review, this position is responsible for applying innovative approaches to resolving unusual or complex engineering problems.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in a multi-disciplinary group with other Manufacturing Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Controls Hardware Engineers, Software Engineers and Engineering Management to maintain design for production, produce design changes and prototype test hardware for internal and external customers
- Utilizes expertise with design and analysis tools such as Altium, PADS, MatLab, MathCAD, SPICE, Simplorer, AutoCAD and/or Pro-Engineer.
- Demonstrates strong analytical-based design skills, performing trade studies, developing conceptual designs, and maturing those designs into the production phase, often in an environment where supply chain requirements influence design.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of PCBA or high power electrical design, component selection and materials, write technical reports, generate process documentation, participate in vendor selection, and provide manufacturing oversight.
- Leads the coordination of all assigned engineering tasks including manufacturing engineering, design engineering, material planning, configuration management, Quality Assurance, procurement, program office, vendor and customer.
- Advises management, engineering staff and the program office of the status of work in progress, material availability, and potential design or production problems to ensure that personnel, equipment, materials and services are provided as needed to meet program cost and schedule.
- Works with manufacturing engineering and project management to resolve design related issues impacting production and to improve product reliability and manufacturability while maintaining system performance and qualification.
- Provides technical evaluations to support prototype qualification, manufacturing and procurement decisions. Review technical investigation findings, document and implement solutions and communicates results to stakeholders.
- Develops or verifies procurement documents and material specifications, Statement of Work (SOW) and provides technical evaluation of supplier quotes or proposals for engineered components and assemblies.
- Presents design changes and supporting analysis for technical reviews, and produces all documents in accordance with GA-EMS procedures to meet strict quality and configuration management requirements.
- Performs root-cause failure analysis, requirements verification, develops failure tree & troubleshooting steps by utilizing standard engineering practices and scientific principles.
- Provides technical support to manufacturing, test, subcontracts staff and technicians.
- Provides technical support for assigned Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) investigations including developing a Plan of Action and Milestone (POA&M), estimated costs and provides technical assessments, reports and participation in the Failure Review Board.
- Provides technical disposition of Supplier Disposition Requests (SDR)/ Non-Conformances (NR) and other Quality notifications, due to manufacturing requests for information, request for design changes or requests for Material Review Board approval of non-conformances.
- Assigns, mentors and reviews junior level engineering tasks.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and understanding of integrated schedules and Earned Value Management Systems.
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelor’s degree, four or more years of experience with a master’s degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- An EIT (Engineer in Training) certificate or PE (Professional Engineer) license are desirable
- Proficiency using Altium, PADS or other PCB/PCBA design tool is desirable
- PCB/PCBA design & component selection experience is highly desired
- PCB/PCBA production and fabrication experience is a plus
- U.S. Navy program acquisition, shipbuilding, ship design, construction and component engineering experience is desirable
Volt is an equal opportunity employer.