Staffing - Mechanical Technician III
Not ready to apply, but want to stay up-to-date in future job openings?
Join our Talent Network for job alerts in your inbox.
Volt is looking for a Mechanical Technician to work with our client, located in Wilmington NC. The company is an American manufacturer of glass, ceramics, and related materials, primarily for industrial and scientific applications. The Mechanical Technician will supervise and provide direction to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades during all aspects of equipment installation and conversion such as demolition, construction, installation, testing, and debug of production equipment.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Supervise and provide direction to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades during all aspects of equipment installation and conversion such as demolition, construction, installation, testing, and debug of production equipment.
- Perform troubleshooting, process start-up, design, and documentation of Mechanical and Electrical Systems for new or modified production equipment.
Create and modify existing documentation to complete drawing packages, installation checklists, machine part lists, illustrations, and machine specs of production equipment.
- Provide direction to technicians to create and modify existing documentation to complete drawing packages, installation checklists, machine part lists, illustrations, and machine specs of production equipment.
- Provide mechanical equipment designs and layouts which meet Machine Drafting Standards on CAD based formats. (AutoCAD® 2014, Inventor 2014)
- Develop mechanical and electrical installation checklists and schedules. Oversee, as appropriate, the usage of these systems.
- Procure and expedite materials for new or modified equipment.
- Specify or recommend vendors, and maintain close liaison between vendor and plant.
- Re-design mechanical components to reduce installation cost, solve equipment interferences, and correct inadequate designs.
- Prepare work orders and direct maintenance personnel and outside contract trades in the fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment.
- Create, review, and update installation documentation and drawings as required.
- Direct initial equipment set-up and debug up to the point of turnover to operations.
Interface with all departments, as necessary, to ensure efficient use and operation of equipment.
- Redline existing drawings and follow-up with drafting services or oversee draftsmen as required to resolve design issues.
- Provide third-level troubleshooting support, directing contract engineering techs, and trades as necessary to replace defective components and execute changes in design solve equipment/process issues.
- Provide troubleshooting support in assigned areas.
- Take personal responsibility for all aspects of supervising equipment installation crews including direction and shift supervision as needed for Electricians and Mechanics during installation activities.
- Provide training to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades on new equipment installation procedures as required for successful execution of installation activities.
- Analyze and correct equipment installation practices to improve efficiencies, specifically directed toward enhancing installation schedules.
- Develop cost reduction plans for the improvement of installation projects.
- Provide sketches or marked-up drawings as dictated by project and evolutionary equipment needs.
- Complete documentation packages to meet customer requirements.
- Ensure updated documentation exists in assigned areas.
- Desired Skills/Experience:
Additional Position Requirements:
Team based in Wilmington, NC. This posting is for a project at the same location. Often contractors that excel and are interested in continuing beyond the initial project may be considered for additional assignments. However, these additional projects may not be located at the same place as the initial posting. Travel requirements will vary based on project locations. International travel may also be possible to support future project needs.
(Hours will vary with no guarantee of OT, but 10-25hrs per week is not uncommon and expected at times)
AAS Mechanical Engineering Technology, BS Mechanical Engineering Technology or BS Mechanical Engineering (Equivalent work experience may be considered in rare circumstances.)
Minimum 5 to 10 years’ experience
Equipment or software experience preferred:
AutoCAD® 2014, Inventor 2014, Windows7, MS Office suite including Power Point, Excel, Word,
PC based systems, Pneumatic systems and schematics, Motion Control systems, Automated equipment systems experience
- Personal Computers
- Fluke Meters
- Precision bubble levels, Digital Inclinometer, Laser level positioning devices
- Equipment used for machine Installation activities: man lifts, jacks, dollies, trucks, fork lifts, hand tools, etc.
- Electronic calibration equipment
- Precision flow measurement devices
- Programmable Controllers
Desired/Required Soft Skills
Skill or work style preferred:
- Ability to work well with varied job requirements.
- Ability to work well with people essential.
- Presentation skills highly desirable.
- Well organized.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Results oriented.
Initial project in Wilmington. Subsequent projects may be in other NC locations as well as international. Work on an international team is not guaranteed and specific locations will not be disclosed at this point. However, international locations will vary and may include but are not limited to Europe and Asia.
This is an estimated 12 months position in Wilmington NC and is offered through Volt Workforce Solutions. Volt is a world-class leader in the staffing services marketplace. Volt provides Contingent Staffing, Contingent-to-Hire, and Managed Service Programs to a variety of companies, including the Fortune 1000. Volt supplies workforce design solutions in Engineering, Information Technology, Scientific, Technical/Professional and other disciplines.
As a Volt employee, you can expect the highest level of support. We have a long standing tradition of developing lasting and mutually beneficial relationships with our employees. Contact a Volt representative by applying to this posting online for immediate consideration. Submit your resume today!
To learn more about Volt, please visit: http://www.volt.com and to see more of our job postings, please visit: http://jobs.volt.com
Volt is an Equal Opportunity Employer.